Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Schawerma tastes better than it sounds

It's official. I eat meat.

And not just any meat--lamb. (Baah.)

While it is not impossible to be vegetarian in the Middle East, it definitely takes more effort. I had to jump on the lamb-eating bandwagon when I arrived, although I did just learn how to say chicken in Arabic ("firaykh").

A popular meat sandwich here is schawerma, which consists of roasted meat, tomatoes, lettuce, onions and something like cilantro in a bun or hoagie roll.

A place just across the street from me, El-Tabei, serves schawerma for dine-in or take-out. It's pretty good.

The chef slices meat from the giant rotisserie leg of lamb and fries it with onions, tomatoes and herbs.

The chef then gets the sandwich part ready. If you're not careful, he'll put a giant scoop of mayonnaise all over it. So watch out for that.

The meat is added and drizzled with tahini (sesame) sauce. Eat up!

A large sammie, like the one pictured above, goes for about 8 L.E. ($1.50) or you can get a smaller one for 3.5 L.E. (60 cents).

7 comments:

ben said...

I like my schwaerma with mayo

Colin Mulvany said...

Your making me hungry Holly, I'm heading to Subway right now!

Anonymous said...

stay right on top of that mayo, maybe it adds a fabulous taste adjustment to the lamb--mom

Anonymous said...

Mmmmm, lamby sammy!

Bridge

buy aprons said...

this is like an ordinary footlong sandwich that is added with meat.

criticpapa said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Cathy said...

I don't know what lamb shawerma tastes like, though I love the beef shawerma, eh. I like it especially when it has a hot sauce in it. Mmmm.

Cheers
Cathy@littmann stethoscope