Monday, April 14, 2008

My brain hurts

That's my friend Vivien (he's French) on the last day of fusha (classical) Arabic last month. After two months of intensive Arabic classes, I decided that I would stop taking Arabic for a bit and concentrate on work. I needed a more flexible schedule. I can already feel some of what I learned slipping away, so I hope to continue progressing with help from a tutor.


Vivien gets a little help from Sami, our teacher.


Numbers in Arabic are more complicated than I ever imagined.


"You people will just never get it," laughs Sami shortly before dismissing us. No, that's not really what he said. He was actually one of my favorite teachers. Very nice and one of the most patient people I have ever met.

I really miss class. Inshallah one day I'll be back.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Are those movie posters on the wall? mom

Holly said...

Yes those are old movie posters. I can't really explain why they're so racy. My guesses are that society has become more conservative since the time of those posters or the entertainment industry isn't held to the same standard as the rest of society? Maybe a combination of both. Not sure.