Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Sheesha gone bad

Alright fine. I'm telling the sheesha story.

God.

When my friends Erin and Jim visited Cairo, we went out to an Egyptian restaurant with some photographers, and of course we had to smoke sheesha after the meal. I don't know how it started, but suddenly everyone was taking pictures of each other trying to blow smoke rings and look cool with the pipes. It was quite amusing.


That's Shawn, Scott and Max--photo courtesy of my roommate Susan.

For those of you who have never smoked sheesha, if you're not paying attention, the smoke can actually make you feel light-headed and dizzy. And if you ignore these effects and keep smoking, because, for instance, you are busy being entertained by photographers being complete dorks, sheesha can actually make you feel pretty sick.


Shortly after I took this photograph of Scott and Max, I started to feel dizzy and faint. I broke out in a cold sweat. I prayed the feeling would pass. It didn't. Apparently I was turning green, because Erin who was sitting next to me said, "C'mon, I'll help you to the bathroom."

I knew I wouldn't make it to the bathroom, so I put my head between my knees, to the great shock of the entire restaurant (I'm told anyway). I was pretty sure I was going to die.

I didn't die. Nor did I throw up or pass out. Erin, who is a nurse when she's not traveling the world, kept checking my pulse and pressing a cold cloth to my forehead. It took me awhile to be able to sit up and walk, and I wasn't the same for the rest of the night.

So let that be a lesson to you. As Scott likes to remind me pretty much any time I see him: Know your sheesha limit.

3 comments:

FWickeham said...

Great story and pictures. Sometimes it's good to have your own private nurse around. I know I have appreciated Erin's nursing skills, altho I haven't tried sheesha yet...I probably wouldn't inhale.

Kim said...

Hi Holly, I loved your pictures and hence wasn't suprised to see that you are a photo journalist :)

I know what you mean about feeling sick. My bro and sis both had a bad case of sheesha OD when they were here at the beginning of the year. They aren't gonna be smoking anything anytime soon. LOL

I've linked to your blog on my Egypt blog http://whazzupegypt.blogspot.com/

Donald Macruze said...

i kinda get what a hookah looks like and all but what does it do? is it just steam, tobacco, or pot?
hookah