Sunday, June 1, 2008

Hunger

These people are hungry.

I'm sorry. I don't know what else to say.

Above, a girl waits in the women's line for bread at a kiosk in Usim, Giza, Egypt, May 29, 2008.


A trio of women scramble to catch a share of bread as it falls to the ground.


A bread distributor shoves a basket back through the window at the bread kiosk. There is obviously not enough food to go around in Usim. Some people were trying to go through the bread line twice, but were systematically rejected. Why would a person go through the trouble and humiliation of fighting (and I do mean fighting, clawing, screaming, pushing) his/her way to the front of the line a second time? I don't know what it feels like to be that hungry.


A distributor hurries to fill a woman's bag with bread.


I just kept thinking, how can a person do this every single day?


The men's breadline.


Bread crisis over? No way.

These photos were shot by me and edited and toned by photojournalist Max Becherer, who is pretty much the bomb. He is represented by photo agency Polaris Images. Please check out his website. (He did not put me up to this. He is an amazing photographer and a very sincere person.)

1 comment:

Amanda Smith said...

WOW Holly I love the bread falling to the ground photo... it reached right into my heart and tugged.