Sunday, November 15, 2009

Decompression

I left Afghanistan on Monday, November 9. To help ease my transition back to Cairo, I decided to stay for a bit in Dubai, crashing at a friend's 17th-floor apartment.

Honestly, my main activities were sleeping and eating massive amounts of fresh salad for three days, until my body violently protested the drastic change in diet. I bought a humorous novel, watched T.V. and tried to forget everything. I had thought about visiting a spa for a massage, pedicure or haircut, but nope, nope and nope. Couldn't seem to muster the will power.

I did make it out to Jumeirah Beach Residence one afternoon, where all I could do was gape at the gigantic buildings and half-naked sun bathers. Culture shock, anyone?


The view of the pool, which I did not once visit, from my friend's apartment. I tried to go to the gym once, but the only shoes I had with me were hiking boots and flip flops. (I try to travel light for Afghanistan.)


It was a nice break. I am thankful to have understanding friends.

1 comment:

FWickeham said...

Enjoy well deserved and earned R&R. Kudos on your recent NYT celebrity.
"Afghan Enclave Seen as Model for Development
Holly Pickett for The New York Times. Villagers and development workers had to persuade a local mullah to get a girls' school built in the ...
November 13, 2009 - By SABRINA TAVERNISE - International / Asia Pacific
Councils in Jurm Valley Make Improvements An Uncomfortable Truth - At War Blog
Holly Pickett for The New York Times Shamsullah, far right, is shown here with other shura leaders at a meeting in Badakhshan Province, ...
November 10, 2009 - Atwar Blog

Broaching Birth Control With Afghan Mullahs
Holly Pickett for The New York Times. Afghan religious leaders attended a workshop on birth control, birth spacing and breast feeding in ...
November 15, 2009 - By SABRINA TAVERNISE - International / Asia Pacific

Faizabad Journal - Afghan Election Rests on the Backs of Donkeys ...
Holly Pickett for The New York Times. Some election workers in Badakhshan Province in Afghanistan toil for oats. Donkeys carry ballots to ...
October 26, 2009 - By SABRINA TAVERNISE - International / Asia Pacific

Slide Show: Councils in Jurm Valley Make Improvements
Photo: Holly Pickett for The New York Times. related. Article: Afghan Enclave Seen as Model for Development ...
November 12, 2009 - world
Image: World > Image >
Holly Pickett for The New York Times. Ezatullah, 58, a night watchman at a school in Badakhshan, said he had turned to his daughter for ..."