Saturday, May 21, 2011

Arab Spring

Cairo, Egypt, Jan. 26, 2011.


2011 has brought unprecedented change to the Middle East and North Africa. People in Morocco, Algeria, Tunisia, Libya, Egypt, Jordan, Iraq, West Bank/Gaza, Syria, Lebanon, Yemen, Oman, Bahrain and Iran have demonstrated for governmental and economic reform, regime change, civil rights and human rights. They've protested police torture, corruption and other abuses of power. They have broken the barrier of fear that has kept the unjust status quo for so long. They have taken their future into their own hands, and, for once, their leaders and the world are starting to listen.

It has been intense and incredible to observe. Sometimes I still can't believe what I have seen and heard. I have covered just three of the Arab World's uprisings--it has felt like three lifetimes. I will try to deconstruct what I've seen and experienced here.

My only question: Where to begin?

3 comments:

WASVL said...

Yay you're back. Missed your posts.

A

Seth A. Dahl said...

What a powerful photo that sums up the unrest in the Middle East. I'm glad to see some new posts.

Marc said...

this is absolutely amazing work, kudos