Thursday, February 14, 2013

Portraits with a tiny camera (Okay, okay, it was my phone!)



 "She's my girl," said the young man proudly, in Dembara, Senegal.

I can hear the voice of Dan Pelle, one of my mentors from my years at The Spokesman-Review newspaper, as he edits over my shoulder: "I like seeing all these faces."

A funny thing happened while I was in Senegal. I started to use my phone to take portraits of people. It was kind of a whim decision, like, sure why not? I have this tool, why not experiment a bit? But, it turns out, these are some of my favorite photographs that I took while I was in West Africa.

Believe me when I say this was a shock for me. Unlike some of my colleagues, I was reluctant to use my phone's camera to take serious pictures, the kind with some weight to them, the kind that I would want to share with the world. I worried about the quality of the images, and the "Hipstamatic" filters bothered me. (In fact with the first set of portraits I took, I spent a lot of time in Photoshop trying--for the most part unsucessfully--to remove the filter, until I found a "lens" and "film" that was truer to my style, and started using that instead.)

I still don't think camera phones are perfect for every situation, but for some subjects and the right light conditions, they can work really well. People are not so afraid of a little phone camera.



Gniana, Fafacourou, Senegal.


Mai Mona, 12, Near Kolda, Senegal.


Fafacourou, Senegal.


Dembara, Senegal.


Elizabeth, 19, university student, Fafacourou, Senegal.


Obama fan, Kolda, Senegal.


Dembara, Senegal.


Maly, Fafacourou, Senegal.


Aminata, vegetable vendor in the market, Kolda, Senegal.



Samba, Fafacourou, Senegal.


Fatoumata, 20, university student, Fafacourou, Senegal.


Young laborer wearing hand-me-down hospital scrubs, Dembara, Senegal.


Bailo, bissap (hibiscus) vendor in the market, Kolda, Senegal.


Dembara, Senegal.


In Mabella Quarter, Freetown, Sierra Leone.


Mariama, 10, and her pet monkey, with a re-purposed electrical cord for a leash, Bolama, Guinea-Bissau.



NoƩ, 21, Bandim district, Bissau, Guinea-Bissau.


Alai, 21, refugee from Mali, Mentao Refugee Camp, Burkina Faso.




Sidi Ag Muhammad, 60, refugee from Mali and shepherd, Mentao Refugee Camp, Burkina Faso.




Ali, a 7-year-old refugee from Mali, is covered in dust from the walk to school, Mentao Refugee Camp, Burkina Faso.


Fatma, 8-year-old refugee from Mali, Mentao Refugee Camp, Burkina Faso.


Agali Ag Hamaduh, refugee from Mali and the camp's school director, Mentao Refugee Camp, Burkina Faso. 


Fati, 13, refugee from Mali, wearing a t-shirt with the Bollywood star Vaidehi on it, Mentao Refugee Camp, Burkina Faso.


Lala, 8 months old, refugee from Mali with her mother, Mentao Refugee Camp, Burkina Faso.


3 comments:

M said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Eva said...

Those are really great! As a frequent reader of Everyday Africa, I really like that I always recognize your style when you add photos there.

John Vonn said...

Wow! all collection are very good. I like all picture in this blog.
portraits in san ramon
thank you so much